Is testosterone therapy actually all it’s cracked as much as be? Does it actually assist your intercourse life? Does it truly aid you dwell longer? Is testosterone the medicinal Holy Grail for males? And the way, pray inform, have we come to imagine that anabolic-suffused aggressive bodybuilders, these (spray) tanned Adonis’ with ripped, ballooned muscle groups in every single place, are actually “healthy” when actually they don’t seem to be: their mortality rate as younger males is unspeakably excessive. But there are these, together with my sufferers, who swear by testosterone as the key sauce to their high quality of life. They only wouldn’t be the identical with out it. So, perhaps the 1st Century BC Roman poet Lucretius was proper when he stated that one man’s treatment is one other man’s poison.
“Vitamin T” Advantages
What does testosterone truly do? Throughout growth, it helps male fetuses develop male genital organs. At puberty, it turns boys into males by serving to them develop tall, construct muscle, and develop into fertile. In grownup males, it maintains fertility and sexual operate, and preserves muscle and bone mass. The very best information on the advantages of testosterone come from The Testosterone Trials, a bunch of seven double-blind trials in 788 males. These males averaged 72 years previous and had very low testosterone ranges, which had been boosted to ranges thought of the mid-normal vary for younger males and adopted for a yr. Right here what testosterone did for them:
- Sexual want, erections and sexual exercise elevated.
- Improved temper, lessened depressive signs, however didn’t enhance vitality.
- Elevated 6-minute stroll distances.
- Improved blood counts.
- Improved bone density and bone energy.
This all matches in with my analogy that, like oil in an engine, testosterone retains issues operating easily as we age. Likewise, when the “oil” of testosterone is low, you possibly can say that the engine wears out sooner and doesn’t work as effectively or so long as it ought to. Word too, that when testosterone ranges are actually low in a lot youthful males, we might count on extra profit than that obtained within the older males within the T-Trials.
Clearly regular testosterone ranges are good for the physique. However what testosterone doesn’t do can be value noting:
- It’s not a standard reason for both erectile dysfunction or low intercourse drive.
- By itself it won’t aid you construct muscle or lose fats.
- It doesn’t enhance vitality ranges considerably.
- It won’t aid you dwell ceaselessly.
- It won’t get you extra dates or make you a intercourse machine.
- It won’t make you taller as an grownup.
The Small Print
There are plenty of methods to take testosterone nowadays: utilized gels or lotions, injections, implants, patches, buccal adhesives and most just lately, capsules. Nonetheless, in case you’re contemplating taking testosterone, additionally contemplate its potential unintended effects and problems:
- Fertility shall be impaired as testosterone dietary supplements are efficient contraceptives.
- Testicles will develop into smaller and softer.
- Blood counts can enhance, resulting in thick blood, leg clots and strokes.
- Male sample baldness shall be accelerated.
- Breast enlargement and tenderness.
- Pimples can return. Pores and skin could develop into oily.
- Sleep apnea and prostate enlargement could worsen.
- Monitoring for prostate and breast most cancers is extra necessary.
- Doable elevated threat of coronary heart assaults.
In my follow, this plethora of pluses and minuses are utilized to every affected person contemplating testosterone substitute. I additionally carry out a root trigger evaluation to resolve whether or not the signs could be because of a dozen or so underlying (and treatable) medical situations that may mimic or lead to low T. It’s additionally spectacular how typically easy way of life selections that encourage train, wholesome consuming and enough sleep could “cure” signs that had been attributed to low T. The underside line is taking testosterone is a critical dedication to a critical remedy and wishes some critical thought and so I urge you to seek the advice of with an knowledgeable earlier than starting this medical odyssey.